Getting a library card is easy. If you live, own property, work, or go to school in Hardin County, you are entitled to a free library card. The card is good at both branches of the Hardin County Public Library and on the Bookmobile. People who do not qualify for a free card are able to pay an annual fee for a non-resident Hardin County Public Library card.
You may register in person at either Branch location or on the Bookmobile. Online pre-registration is also available.
You must present your library card every time you check out an item or use a computer. If you have forgotten your card, photo identification may be used in its place.
To Register in person:
Adult Library Card(for those who live, own property, work or go to school in Hardin Co.)
All applicants MUST present valid photo identification. This identification must be issued by a legitimate Government agency or organization. This identification MUST be current. This type of identification would include:
- Driver’s license
- Military ID
If you do not possess a photo ID, you may obtain one by presenting your birth certificate and social security card at the circuit court clerk’s office in your home county.
If the form of valid photo identification includes the applicant’s current address, the photo identification can serve as proof of current address as well. If the applicant does not have identification with the current address as described above, present the ID along with ONE form of current address verification as follows:
- Piece of mail postmarked in the last two weeks
- Pay stub issued in the last two weeks
- Voter Registration Card
- Lease/Deed Agreement
- Current utility bill in the borrowers name dated within one month
A post office box does not qualify as a street address. Borrower must verify actual home address. However, post office boxes can be used as a mailing address in the borrower’s computer record. (The actual street address can be entered into the alternate address field in the computer record.)
If the applicant does not live in Hardin County, then it must be verification must show that he/she owns property, works, or goes to school in Hardin County. Examples of verification include:
Juvenile Library Card (for children and teens under 18 years old):
- Work or school ID
- School report card
- Pay stub
- Property tax notification
Non-Resident Library Cards (for those who do NOT live, own property, work, or attend school in Hardin County):
- The applicant’s mother, father, or legal guardian must sign the application, and provide valid photo identification and proof of current address. This photo identification and verification of address must follow the same guidelines as highlighted in “Adult Library Card”.
- Applicants 16 & 17 years old DO NOT need a parent’s signature when applying for a library card, providing they have a current valid Kentucky driver’s license.
- Present valid identification and proof of current address as outlined in “Adult Library Card”.
- Payment of an annual $25.00 fee by cash or personal check.
- Non-resident cards expire after one year and are only renewed upon payment of the next year’s $25.00 annual fee. All fines and fees must be paid in full before the card can be renewed.
Temporary Cards (for those who live in Hardin County for a short time or do not permanently live in the county):
Examples of patrons eligible for a temporary card: People who have been transferred to Hardin County on a temporary basis or are visiting relatives long-term.
To apply for a temporary library card present valid photo identification, proof of temporary residency, and proof of permanent address.
Temporary cards have the following special restrictions:
To pre-register online:
- Limit of five items at one time.
- Those five items must be returned before more materials may be borrowed.
- No videos, DVDs, audio books, or interlibrary loan materials may be borrowed.
- This card expires in 180 days and cannot be renewed.
- Enter the Library Catalog - click on the Patron Account
- Click the “register now” link.
Complete the form and submit it electronically for review by the HCPL staff. You will receive a library card number after visiting a Hardin County Public Library location and presenting photo identification and proof of address as needed according to the criteria above.
To renew a card:
All HCPL library cards expire one year from the date issued. We need to check your address, so be prepared to show proof of address. Cards cannot be renewed until all overdue materials are returned and all fines/fees are paid in full.
Please report LOST or STOLEN cards at either 769-6337 or 351-9999 immediately; anything checked out on your card is your responsibility. There is a small replacement fee for a lost or stolen library card.
Change of address:
Please report any address, phone, or name changes to the library.
DO report any loss or damage to materials borrowed on your card.
DO notify the library immediately if your card is lost: 769-6337 or 351-9999.
DO NOT lend your card to others. Items checked out on your card are your responsibility.